TAS Insurance Agency has long provided Phillipsburg, NJ area homeowners with the coverage they need for their homes. In doing so, we address the common concerns that often arise, especially when our clients plan a trip away from their homes. Vacations are exciting, but most people forget about protecting their homes while they are away.
Here are some proper steps you should take to protect your home on the inside and the outside:
Inside the house
- Set timers on inside lights to make it look like there is someone at home.
- Unplug all electronics or have them hooked up to a surge protector in case of a power surge.
- Don’t make status updates. Status updates tell potential burglars when you are leaving and when you will be back.
- Alert your alarm company that you will be gone for a while.
- Secure your valuables in a lockbox, or put them in an unusual place where someone won’t think to look.
- Set HVAC to a controlled temperature.
- Insulate pipes and ask a trusted family member or friend to check that the pipes don’t freeze.
Outside the house
- Arrange for lawn care. If the lawn isn’t maintained, it can show everyone around that you are not there.
- Stop mail and newspapers. Newspapers and mail piling up at the door are like a huge beacon to burglars.
- Set outside lights on timers so that they turn on and off to make it look like someone is there.
- Don’t leave spare keys outside. If you can think of a place to hide it, then a burglar will most likely find it. Instead, leave a spare key with a trusted friend or family member.
- Lock the garage even if there is no inside entrance from the garage. If you have an automatic garage opener, disconnect it.
Make Sure to Get Coverage For Your Home
These tips help protect your home from burglary, flooding, potential fires, etc. While all these are important tips, do not forget to get or update the insurance coverage for your most important asset – your home. Contact our team of insurance experts at TAS Insurance Agency in Phillipsburg, NJ for all your insurance needs.