What does flood insurance cover

Floods cause devastation across the US every year, especially in the spring. It has gotten more common in recent years, which places additional people in danger. Cities and towns that normally haven’t been in danger of flooding are no longer safe. Everyone who lives in an area that might be in danger of flooding should consider having flood insurance. At TAS Insurance Agency in Phillipsburg, NJ, we are locally owned and operated and provide our customers with multiple carriers to choose from. 

The majority of flood insurance is purchase through the NFIP and managed by FEMA. It is offered to eligible people through a network of approved carriers. It doesn’t matter which carrier you chose. The government determines the rates, so choose the carrier you prefer and know provides great service. Flood insurance through NFIP is available to those who live in one of the 23,000 communities who participate. Other options are available for those who do not live in one of the participating communities. 

NFIP offers two separate policies. One is for the property, and one is for the contents. You can purchase just one, or you can purchase both. The choice is yours. The amount the policy covers is limited, and if you need more coverage than they can provide, you should look into the other available options. Typically, property coverage has a $250,000 limit and content has $100,000. These are the maximum amounts the policy will pay no matter what the actual replacement cost is. Both policies come with a deductible. 

Property coverage protects the physical building and the main systems in the home, such as electric, plumbing, and HVAC. It also covers any built-in content include major appliances. 

Contents insurance covers furniture, clothing, household items, washer and dryer, window cooling units, and electronics. 

Contact TAS Insurance Agency in Phillipsburg, NJ, when you have flood insurance needs.